Friday, April 1, 2011

3 weeks and counting!

actually 3 weeks minus one day!

i may be getting a bit anxious about going on this great nepalese adventure. i've got ALL my gear (minus a few things i'll be picking up for a fraction of the cost in Kathmandu), and have spent the last week ordering a few miscellaneous items on amazon.com. bandanas, hand warmers, travel pillow, sanitizing hand wipes, ear plugs, new SD card, dry stuff sacks, the list goes on!

in my antsy-ness, i decided to get all my gear together for a sort of "dry run" for packing. this is probably 90% of my gear.

Photobucket

seems like a lot. good thing i don't have to carry it!

speaking of carrying things, i've also been trying to find a logical solution for carrying/easy access to my DSLR. i've tried 2 different backpacks, and settled on the bigger one because of its superior frame and comfort. i've also found this camera solution after much searching.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

yes, i know what i look like. a HUGE nerd. but there is a price to be paid for easy access. one thing i will NOT do is have my camera stuck at the bottom of my pack and forego an opportunity to snap a shot just because i don't want to stop, take off my pack, undo the straps, dig out the camera, and snap the photo. the above solution will eliminate inconvenience and allow for optimal access and ease.

i feel like there are a billion things to do before i go, but i know that is not true. it's just the anticipation of leaving. not only that, the anticipation of leaving kids for 19 days! i think that is what is making the most nervous. it will be good though. judy only wants her dad these days anyway, and xander will think its an extra treat to have dad around for so long because he can get whatever he wants from rob.

physically i'm am ready as i'll ever be. in the short time i've been preparing i've made great strides. i could categorize my cardio fitness as "poor" when i started. now, i'm 10 points away from being in the "excellent" category (harvard step test).

should be a great adventure! i hope i make it all the way!

Photobucket

that is what my gear looks like packed in dry sacks. i didn't take a picture of my gear packed in the suitcase... that would be weird.

5 comments:

Stacey Salmon said...

You guys are going to have an AWESOME time!! Have fun
SS

Sylvie Schow said...

Holy crap. That looks great. I think I need to do an inventory too. I am missing alot of the small stuff. I need to get organized.

burtons*north said...

That camera case looks great! That's how I feel every time I pack my camera in my massive "purse". It's a pain to get out, etc. That looks perfect.

Unknown said...

It's going to be the trip of a lifetime - I can't wait to see your pictures!

The Pratts said...

You are so cool! You look totally legit...I'm so excited for you! Just don't get your hand stuck between a rock and a hard place...127 hours has scarred me for life. Good luck!