Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 3 - Namche Bazar rest day

Namaste.

Today was a rest day for us. We still did a short climb in the morning, but is was very short. The climb was up to a museum looking up the valley towards everest. The morning started off clear and the mountains were looming. As we came up to the point where we could see up the valley, Lohtse was just beginning to be obscured by cloud cover. Everest was completely hidden in the clouds. We think had we been an hour earlier we would've see everest in full view. But we have many days ahead to see it. We also saw ama dablam. The mountains here are formidable. You have to remember that we are already at 3440m elevation and the mountains are still towering over us.

After our hike in the morning we went SHOPPING!! I'm not much of a shopper, but I managed to pick up a few nice souvenirs that are very Namche. The markets are pretty nice. They all have a lot of the same stuff. A few things I wanted to get, but I know I can get them cheaper in Kathmandu so I will wait till the end of the trip to complete my shopping. Plus, anything I get here I will probably have to carry out myself.

Tomorrow we hike to tengboche. Tengboche is the highest Buddhist monastery in the world. Should be a 4-5 hour trek. As far as difficult hiking days go, the worst is behind us. Although our guide says that the say we hike to everest base camp will be the hardest. That is because of the altitude and it is a very long day. 8+ hours.

Dad hasn't been feeling well today. He figures he caught a bit of a bug. He is taking some antibiotics and we are all hoping it runs it's course quickly. He has slept most of the afternoon and is feeling better since taking a bit of medication. We will all be watching him and will be taking things very slowly for him. Send your prayers because we don't want to leave him behind!!

I don't know what kind of Internet access there will be as we gain more elevation. If there is any opportunity for Internet I will continue to post updates.

That is all for now.


-AV-
From my iPhone
403-915-2452

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Annie and all,
Hope Dad is good for his big dream
Send my love to him.
MOM