Sunday, April 24, 2011

Kathmandu!!

Kathmandu!!

So today we did a tour of the city. And can I just say, I am SO looking forward to the hike just so i can get a chance to rest! Site seeing is EXHAUSTING!!!!!

I was up at 430am (because the power to our hotel finally cut back on and all the lights came back on too and woke us up) so I was pretty beat today already.

I'm sorry I don't remember the names, but I will give you a brief description of some things we saw.

First- the place where they cremate people. Okay, sounds a bit creepy (and it kinda was since we were literally seeing people cremate their dead loved ones) but it was so cool! This place is the number one pilgrimage destination for Hindus. This is the place all Hindus would like to be cremated. They do the cremations on the bank of a river, then push the ashes into the river. The river is considered holy. I consider it an unsanitary bio-hazard, especially when you see people washing their clothing in it 50 yards downstream. We walked around that place for a long time. Got some cool pictures.

NEXT- to the Buddhist place (sorry! I don't know the name). Very cool. Peter liked it better because at least there he wasn't inhaling the ashes of cremated people. I also liked it very much there. I will add pictures.

LAST- to and old city. This place was described to us as something like Washington DC. Not it's own state, but kinda a city within a city. Very old place with lots of cool streets. EVERYTHING made with brick. We ate at a rooftop cafe (which greatly boosted our depletes energy) and saw done pretty cool temples.

The highlight of the day was when Sylvie made some pottery on a totally old school potters wheel. SO awesome! I wish I had the pictures, but i was taking them for her on her phone and didn't snap any of my own. Check her blog and a few may be up there.

Anyway, we had our meeting with our trek guide and finished up some last minute details. Sylvie got the rest of her gear and we packed up all our hiking needs.

Half of us went to bed and the other half went out fir pizza. Best pizza ever! We went with to ladies who are also trekking with Ace the Himalaya. They ate hardcore though and summiting a peak above 22000 feet high. The one lady has been to Nepal many times and took us there.

Anyway I am beat. I am going to bed. I will post a few pictures before that.

Ps- Cindy, pete had been having trouble uploading pictures. I am trying to help.


-AV-
From my iPhone
403-915-2452

No comments: