Monday, February 27, 2012

Happy One Year!

Xander has been going to pre-school for a year!  hooray!

at one of our first meetings at the school, they asked me what i wanted my goals to be.  i told them, something to the effect of, "i want to be able to ask Xander how his day was, and have him be able to respond."

prior to his pre-school days most questions were responded to with a yell/scream, or a lengthy string of garbled-up-gook that was very hard to understand (if not impossible).  and if he did have anything coherent to say, it was usually "scripted" phrases.

now, a year later, he still may yell/scream at times but we are understanding 90% of what he says and he will generally respond to questions when asked.  (i can even ask him "what did you do today" and get an excellent response!)

two days ago, i asked him to tell me a story.  and this is what we got:




maybe you won't think this is as big a deal as i do, but to me this is a huge success.  

independent thought.  creative thinking.  100% unscripted.  

thanks to all of Xander's "ladies" who work so hard for him!  you know who you are!

5 comments:

Tina Folsom said...

I think that this is a big deal too Annie. I love woking with Xander and am constantly amazed at how he's growing and changing at preschool. He is amazing!

Stacy said...

It is a big deal! We LOVE Xander. He is one of our families favorite friends. He can outsmart most of us most of the time so our greatest challenge is keeping up! He has been blessed with most supportive "in tune" parents. Cheers, Xander!

Stacey Salmon said...

I love this. It is so cute. My favorite part is the "said I"

Anonymous said...

Way to go Xander.
Great story.

Grandma W

Travis & Macaul said...

Cutest. Kid. Ever!!